The Imperial Hotel located in Amador City, Ca. recently hosted an intimate wine pairing dinner featuring some of Amador County wineries’ award winning wines from the 2012 San Francisco Chronicle’s Wine Competition. The San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition is the largest wine competition of American wines in the world with entries accepted from any winery in any State. In 2012, there were an astounding 5,667 wines submitted from 1,379 American wineries!
Mary Ann McCamant, owner of the Imperial Hotel was the consummate host for this evening event with Dick Minnis from Bray Vineyards sharing his extensive knowledge of the Amador County’s award winning wines.The delicious menu was expertly prepared by Imperial Hotel’s chef, Eric Mullan.
The five course meal and wine pairings included: Shrimp Escabeche with Blood Orange Mojo (was paired with Montevina 2010 Pinot Grigio – Best in Class and Charles Mitchell Winery Madame Omo’s Pure Sunshine – Best in Class); Goose and Ham Gumbo (was paired with Cooper Vineyards 2009 Barbera – Gold and Convergence Vineyards 2009 Italian Job – Double Gold); Mustard Dredged Pork Tenderloin with Gorgonzola Sauce (was paired with Sobon Estate 2009 Fiddletown Zinfandel Lubenko Vineyard – Best of Class and Jeff Runquist Wines 2009 Enver Salman Vineyard Petit Syrah – Gold); Salad of Walnut Mascarpone and Pear on Mixed Greens and finally, Meyer Lemon Sorbet with Chocolate Triangles (was paired with Deaver Vineyards 2006 Late harvest Zinfandel – Silver and Renwood Winery 2008 Orange Muscat – Silver). It was quite enjoyable trying to decide which of these great wines paired best with each course. There was no ultimate consensus among those in attendance other than it was clear why each of these fine wines medaled.
Some additional Amador County wineries to win”Double Gold” or “Gold” in the 2012 San Francisco Chronicle’s Wine Competition are as follows:
- Deaver Vineyards – 2008 Amador City Zinfandel – Double Gold
- Villa Toscana Winery- 2009 Estate Barbera – Double Gold
- Bray Vineyards – 2008 La Dama Obscura Sangiovese – Gold
- Fiddletown Winery – 2009 Old Vine Zinfandel – Gold
- Fiddletown Winery – 2009 Bent Bow Zinfandel – Gold
- Helwig Winery – 2009 Syrah – Gold
- J. Foster Mitchell Winery- 2009 Zinfandel – Gold
- Jeff Runquist Wines- 2009- Nostro Vino Zinfandel – Gold
- Jeff Runquist Wines- 2009- Enver Salman Vineyard Petite Sirah- Gold
- Scott Harvey Wines- 2008 Mountain Select Syrah – Gold
- Sobon Estates – 2010 Viogner – Gold
- Villa Toscano Winery – 2009 TC Vineyard Zinfandel Centuria – Gold
For more information regarding the Imperial Hotel check out their website at www.imperialamador.com . For more information regarding these outstanding award winning wineries find their links on www.goldcountrywinetours.com .